Early Childhood is a critical time for children to develop the physical, emotional, social, and cognitive skills they will need to be successful in school and the rest of their lives.
The Mountainland Head Start program is based on the premise that all children share certain needs, and that children from low-income families, in particular, can benefit from a high quality program to meet those needs. Mountainland Head Start is a comprehensive child-centered, family-oriented, and community-based program with the mission to:
1) Assist children in achieving their optimal developmental
2) Support parents and families in achieving their goals
3) Partner with other community agencies in serving children and families
We strive to foster each child’s competence by supporting and nurturing the child’s social, emotional, cognitive and physical development. Families are supported as well – through parent involvement, education, health, nutrition, disabilities, mental health, and social services.
Mountainland Head Start's philosophy and goals rest on these basic principles:
- A child can benefit most from a quality comprehensive, interdisciplinary program to foster optimum development.
- The well-being of children is inextricably linked to the well-being of the entire family.
- Parents are the primary educators of their children and as such, must be involved with their children's education including involvement with the Head Start program.
- Partnerships with other agencies and organizations in the community are essential to meeting family needs.